Confession…I am really lazy when it comes to making dinners. If it requires a bunch of prep time or more than 2 pans then chances are I’m not going to feel like cooking it by the time I get finished with my run after work. And that’s why I have deemed the crock-pot the greatest invention ever. Honestly, what’s better than sticking a few ingredients into one pot, letting it do it’s thing, and having dinner ready with no work at all? I’ll tell you what’s better…nothing!
When I made my New Year’s resolution to cook at least one new meal each week I didn’t intend for it to turn into “try one new crock-pot recipe each week” but for the month of January that’s how it’s turned out and I’m quite alright with that. This week I tried out a recipe my mom gave me for crock-pot italian beef.
2 lb rump roast
1 large onion
2 green peppers
2 packets zesty Italian seasoning
3 cups water
2 slices provolone cheese
2 italian subs (or gluten-free bread)
1. The night before you want to eat this for dinner slice onion and peppers into small strips and place in crock pot.
2. Add rump roast to crock pot and cover in italian seasoning and water.
3. Cook on low over-night. In the morning shred beef and continue cooking on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Slice in half and toast italian subs. If the subs have a little too much bread for you try tearing out the inner part to make room for more meat.
5. Add a hefty serving of meat and top with a slice of provolone cheese.
6. Enjoy the fact that you’re eating a meal that took almost no effort to make.
Note: August ate his sandwich on Udi’s gluten-free sandwich bread and said it tasted awesome.